Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Visiting Homogeneous Countries: When Getting Stared At Is Cool!

I must admit that it can be a little unnerving to visit almost completely homogeneous countries like Japan, Vietnam, and China. Living in America, it is "normal" to see all different types of people regardless of where you go and what you do. Different colors, languages, and cultures are all around us in the States so you definitely experience some "culture shock" when you land in one of these countries. Being the "only" Black person and nearly the only "American" is crazy! People notice you immediately since you stand out from the rest of the population. All of the signage is in simplified or traditional Chinese and every conversation you overhear is in Mandarin or another Chinese dialect. You must have a strong sense of self and belonging in order to visit a homogeneous country or you will find yourself confined to your hotel room (where, by the way, all of the television programs will be in the same, foreign language - except for one station of CNN or BBC if you are lucky). I love this feeling of "different-ness" because it makes me understand more clearly how people form other countries feel when they visit the States. They find it difficult to understand the signage and language, they are stared at simply for looking different, and they are surrounded by a culture that is completely different from their own. Ironically, as as Black man, I have felt this same sense of "different-ness" at home. I mus admit, however, that the feelings I experience abroad are not the same. I am stared at for being different but I never feel "judged" by the staring person or persons. Instead, I have the distinct sense that they clearly are simply observing a type of person who they have never encountered before. The stares I receive at home ALWAYS come with judgement - normally delivered in a condescending manner. My family members and I have often had people, sometimes entire families, ask to take photos with us. Again, the feeling during the photo shoots are always upbeat, happy, and positive. It's not quite like we are "celebrities" but folks clearly are enjoying meeting us and recording our meeting for posterity's sake. Suffice to say, I do not get that type of response from folks who stare at me back home when I find myself in one for those areas where a Black person "stands out" for various reasons. All of the cities we have visited this far on this trip are large cities (with the exception of Hakone in Japan) so scenes like these are the norm:

 

But all you have to do is join the party!  When in Rome...


Plus, if you feel the need to see more Americans or Europeans you may always take an arranged tour of a popular location.  You are sure to find many "foreigners" on those.  Here's a scene in the port just before we boarded our Ha Long Bay 2-day cruise with Ha Long Du Gong Sail:


Looks just like home.  Enjoy and power to the purple!


No comments: